Sunday, November 19, 2017

A Pocket of History - Natchitoches, Louisiana



A couple of weeks ago my family traveled to northern Louisiana to visit with some new friends and as luck would have it, there were opportunities to learn some interesting art history tidbits and take some cool shots. (Imagine that, I found cool venues for taking pictures).

I also discovered my new favorite adult beverage, a peach tea slushy, (oh my, best thing ever after touring a plantation!) but I digress. 

My friend took me to Melrose Plantation just outside of Natchitoches, Louisiana.  This place is awesome. We took the tour and heard the history of the plantation, which spans from French Colonial land grants up through today, and it is now a well-maintained historic site. 

The plantation’s past is filled with stories from the rich history of Natchitoches Parrish. My favorite segment of the property’s past is from the early 1900’s when owner Cammie Henry converted the property to function as a retreat for artists’ where, as a patron, she was part of the “Southern Renaissance” portion of American art history.  Mrs. Henry hosted many people from varied disciplines mostly writers and painters.  She let them stay for free as long as they were working and showed her their progress every day at dinner.

This historic setting displays several works by Clementine Hunter; including Ms. Hunters preserved house.  I had heard of her work, but did not expect to find so much of it here at Melrose. I learned about her incredible story during our tour.  Starting as a cook for the Henrys and eventually becoming an acclaimed artist, Clementine Hunter’s life is an inspiration to us all.  Ms. Hunter’s Africa House Murals are on display here and they are beautiful. They have just been restored, enhancing the vibrant colors and wonderful textures of her work.  The stories behind the images and the artist are worth the trip here. 

It was a wonderful day trip and the area is just full to the brim with historically significant sites.  The town of Natchitoches is very well known as one of the best small towns in America, or at least that is what I hear. Right now they are gearing up for their Christmas festival in the historic district of town. One more plug; you have to stop at Kaffie-Frederic’s General Mercantile in Natchitoches, it is an experience.

The photos below were taken at the plantation. Because of the original artwork in most of the buildings, photography is limited inside the structures, so I stuck to shooting outside. 






No comments:

Post a Comment